Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Brussels Sprouts



There are times in life when you just have to finally step up to the plate and be an adult. Or in this case, sit down to the plate.

A few weeks ago I overheard a friend talking about the Brussels sprouts she grew in her garden and was ashamed to admit to myself that I had never even tasted the little darlings.

They were as foreign to me as eggplant, kohlrabi or endive. I have no idea how to cook them, so I never buy them.

Determined to take the plunge, I bought some and following an online recipe, roasted them in the oven. They were dry, but not too bad. Not too good either. Adult that I am, at least I didn't gag on them as I might have as a kid.

Today while shopping for dinner at Ray's, an upscale grocery in Corvallis, I found some young-looking, light green sprouts. They looked like they had possibility so I gave them a second try tonight. The results were superb! I can actually say I love them.

Here's a link to the E-how video that shows how to prepare them.

http://www.ehow.com/video_2261360_seasoning-sauting-cooking-brussels-sprouts.html

Below is my variation since the only exact thing I had in the recipe was the brussels sprouts.

Brussels Sprouts

Remove outer leaves to reveal the lighter leaves underneath.

Cut Brussels Sprouts in half length-wise.
Trim stem so it is short and score it so it will cook through.

Blanch sprouts in boiling, salted water for 3 minutes. Plunge in ice water to stop cooking.

In a small fry pan, melt a little butter. Saute 1-2 T. minced onion until light brown.

Add 1-2 T. apple juice to de-glaze the pan.

Add the sprouts and saute over medium high heat. Keep tossing the sprouts so they don't brown too much. Add a little more butter as needed. They are done when just lightly browned.


It feels like a long shot, but try it! It's delish.

No comments: