Sunday, December 14, 2008

Winter.... grrrr


Last night Steve said there wasn't one single thing he liked about winter. Not icicles. Not frosty window panes. Not snowmen. Not winter driving. OK, so maybe no one likes winter driving, but how can you hate EVERYTHING about winter? Hot cocoa, fireplaces, mittens, trees loaded with snow, ice crystals drifiting from the sky.

Being from Wyoming this is hard to understand. Last night the wind was whistling at the door. Now, that's a sound from my childhood. The wind always whistles in Wyoming unless of course it is howling. It blew the cover off the barbeque and walked the three plastic chairs that are still on the deck clear to the steps. Before we went to bed I went outside and took down the wind chimes so we could sleep. On a calmer day I love to hear them faintly outside in the breeze. The intervals are perfect for Christmas time because they play "Hark to the bells, Sweet silver bells."

But I digress. In one week we celebrate the winter solstice. This is Steve's favorite day of the year because he can begin counting toward the summer solstice. In trying to understand this antipathy toward the white season, he decided that it was because he lived in California until he was seven. When I asked him what he did in the winter in California he answered, "Played outside in the sunshine like a normal kid." Well, there you have it. I guess you have to be indoctrinated young to have the love of winter in your bones. So take the quiz and weigh in. What's your take on winter?

Photo courtesy of www.freefoto.com

And why these fonts won't come out the same is beyond me. Aurgghh!!!

1 comment:

Rendy Tucker said...

I'm with Steve. The only thing I like about winter is seeing my little guy all bundled up scooping snow with a pancake flipper or something of that nature. I think I just hate being that cold!