Saturday, November 22, 2008

Friday Flight

Pam said I could post on her new blog so here it is.
I had a quick end of the week trip to the west side of Oregon on Friday. I left before daylight in hopes to arrive at the mill in time for a safety committee breakfast that I was invited to. I am all about free food! Then our project was going to start at 9:00 am. I had a great flight over - VFR all the way and not much wind or turbulence. But once I got in the vicinity of Salem and looked ahead, there was solid ground fog below pretty much over the whole valley south of the Salem hills. The weather broadcast for Corvallis confirmed that window view with advisory that the ceiling was less than 100 feet and the visibility was less than 1/4 mile - way to foggy to land! So, I diverted to Salem which was clear to the ground, picked up a rental car and scurried towards the mill. I had to divert to Corvallis airport to pickup my safety equipment and gate pass out of my car in the hangar. So, by the time I got to the mill, the breakfast was over (with NO leftovers!) but the 9:00 am project was just getting under way so it worked out.
Steve

1 comment:

Rendy Tucker said...

Now that is just sad. To get up early in the morning with the hopes of a free breakfast and have those hopes dashed is the biggest kind of bummer. And then you just had to starve during work, I'm sure, because those mills aren't exactly equipped with fast food.