Friday, November 21, 2008

Freezer Fish

This morning Annie and I went visiting teaching to Pomeroy.  One of our sisters was in her jammies on the couch with a migraine and a strained tendon in her rotator cuff.  Let's just say she was pretty miserable.  About halfway through our visit her husband came in and said, "I just opened up the freezer and there's a 13 lb. steelhead in there."  Our sister's mouth dropped open and she said, "Oh, no!  I forgot all about it."  She was supposed to have taken it somewhere to be smoked before Thanksgiving. 
 
Good visiting teachers that we are, we told her we'd be glad to bring it back to Clarkston to the new meat market on Bridge Street.  After making the rest of our visits we stopped back at her house. Her husband carried the frozen fish to the car and put it in the trunk.  All the way back I kept saying to myself, "Don't forget you have a fish in your trunk."  (The lost package of chicken that floated around in the trunk for two weeks before the smell led to its discovery has left a strong impression on my mind.)
 
We pulled up to the meat market, and hurried in, the stiff steelhead under my arm.  Brother Moss, who owns the meat market, looked up when he saw us with a look of genuine surprise on his face.
 
"We were told you smoke fish," I said thumping the fish down on the counter.
 
"No.....," he answered.  "I don't have a license for that."
 
Hmmmmm.....
 
Long story short, I now am the custodian of a 13 lb. steelhead until Brother Moss can contact someone he THINKS might smoke the fish. 
 
The good part was that they gave us samples of all the sausages in the case:  summer sausage, pepperoni, bratwurst, and two kinds of jerky. 
 
I also got my haircut -- short like Heather suggested.  Too bad I can't get a good picture of myself to show you how it turned out.  I got couple of nice shots of my chin and a flash bonanza in the mirror.  Maybe later.

No comments: