Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Williamsport PA

Today I took a drive up to Williamsport PA, stopping at the Woolrich Company Store on the way. You know, Woolrich that makes those red and black wool plaid hunting shirts and blankets? It was a pretty cool store, but living in Las Vegas there wasn't much there that's practical to wear this winter. Those hats with furry earflaps were pretty tempting though.

At Williamsport I visited the Lycoming County Historical Museum. I learned about the logging industry in Pennsylvania, discovering that white pine was logged for masts of sailing ships and floated in rafts down the Susquehanna River.

The museum also houses a huge collection of model trains.

I also learned that linen is made from flax. Now that is something I have never known. Or forgotten.



I ended up at the museum because I had to stop the car and take a picture of Trinity Episcopal Church. And that lead me to explore some of the houses along Millionaire's Row, houses built by the lumber barons in the 19th Century.



The craziest thing of the day was the parking meter in Lock Haven.

Push the button for 15 free minutes.
Add 1 nickel for another half hour.
Well, that's about all the time I need to shop in Lock Haven. So it makes me wonder how much they make from the parking meters. I guess in this economy, a nickel is better than nothing.

2 comments:

Brad said...

Looks fun. I love the old houses out in the east, they are so old and cool.

Rendy Tucker said...

Wow! That house is amazing. And I'm pretty sure you don't get more than a few minutes for nickels over here. I think they're trying to discourage the use of them because I know you get less time for two nickels than you do for one dime. I hate meters. Boo.