Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Training, Sort of

Next week is the Crazy Ladies Crazy Camp. Instead of traveling to Albany this year we decided to stick close to home since Julie just finished her chemo a week ago. Plus it's not as far for Sheila to travel. Tuesday and Wednesday both feature 40 mile rides. Ordinarily that wouldn't be much of a sweat, but this year I'm woefully behind in my miles.




With three free days in Albany this week, I've been taking advantage. Yesterday I explored the farmland south of Albany, visited the old Thompson Grist Mill, ate handfuls of blackberries (which I noticed were swarming with tiny ants part way though), and stopped frequently to pick stalks of grain growing in the fields. I'm determined to learn the crops.



I stopped and watched close up (cough, cough) as they harvested the grass seed. The harvesters scoop up the rows of downed, dried grass into the machine. The seed goes into the truck and the chaff and straw comes out the back. It's pretty cool.

See the harvester here. And here.

Today I rode out to Lebanon for a round trip of 38 miles. Pretty boring actually after yesterday. Still, it was good to reassure myself that I can ride that far next week with the Crazies. Plus, I found some more good beanies for the Treasure Hunt. Ya gotta love a bobble-head frog!



No comments: