Monday, July 20, 2009

On the River

With temperatures near 100 last weekend, we just had to head to the river. Selling our boat was a good move, but we were aching to get out on the water. Good thing we have the kayaks.

Friday Steve and I took the inflatable upriver and floated down to Couse Creek where we had left the Suburban. It was a perfect afternoon -- hot enough to make me want to jump in the river which I personally think is still kind of cold. We stopped at a little beach, ate salads from the Albertson's deli, and played in the water. We swam and walked on
an underwater sand bridge that nearly spanned the space between two beaches. A little inlet of water circled back behind this second beach, and Steve wondered if the water was really warm there. I took a step into it and immediately sank up to my crotch in silt. Steve, always chivalrous, stepped in to aid me and sank just as deep with both of his legs. Quicksand! At least that's the first thought that came to mind. Good thing we've watched a lot of old westerns in our day. We knew not to flail and struggle, but to wait for someone to throw us a lasso. In reality we just flung ourselves back onto solid sand and laughed. That was a surprise.

Last year we discovered that we could put the front seat in backwards so we could talk to each other while floating. Only problem with that is I can't see where we're heading. I hear the rush of the rapid as we get closer, but never quite know when I'm going to be in it. And I can't paddle. I spent the day holding my paddle up out of the way, except for the time we were going through the rapid and my paddle slipped into the water, nearly spinning us around. Ooops!

Just as we pulled up to the Couse Creek boat launch, Steve had an awful epiphany. The key he had safely stowed in the pocket of the kayak seat was for the car UPRIVER. The Suburban key was safely locked in the trunk of the car we had left behind. Steve set out on foot, hoping someone would give him a lift. Luckily, a couple was taking their canoe out at the same launch and when I told them our plight, offered to pick him up. Good thing, too. Only one car had passed him the whole time he was walking, and they didn't stop to help.

While I waited with the kayak I learned about mulberry trees. Those berries are purple! Just one mismanaged squeeze and I looked like I'd dipped my fingers in a dye pot. I wish I'd had my camera, because the 7-year-old twins who were eating mulberries with me had purple smeared from ear to ear. Fun fruit!

Saturday we took the sea kayaks out from Swallows Nest. Summer on the river. Ah, it's a good life.

Kudos to Ashley for posting last. I finally got another one up. Tag, you're it, you guys.


No comments: