Friday, June 12, 2009

Flubber


Remember Flubber? It's that super bouncy stuff from the Disney movie that allows things to fly through the air. Well, today I thought my legs were made out of flubber but newly defined. I take it to mean a compound of Flab and Rubber, heavy on the "FL". Jen shamed me into getting back on the bike this week. It's amazing how easy it is to rationalize when you're out of shape. The quick ride around Albany's sneezing fields on Wednesday felt pleasantly invigorating, but when I got home today I knew I had to hit it hard. In approximately 6 weeks Sheila will arrive for the Crazy Camp we are planning instead of our yearly bike trip. I'm intimidated already, considering I have maybe 100 miles on the bike this year, and that's if I stretch the truth.

So, out I went, opting for Critchfield because it's always great to have that sweet downhill swoop at the outset, and then up Asotin Creek. This is one of my favorite rides for several reason. First, it gets you out of town, but best of all because of the creek and the cottonwoods. I LOVE that smell along with the sound of the creek and the cows, horses, turkeys, and deer feeding in the fields.

But back to Flubber. Most of the way up Asotin Creek there's a hill. It's not an enormous hill, but it's big enough that with a headwind you know you're climbing. About the time I hit the hill I realized my legs were made of Flubber. I downshifted and kept peddling, but my heart rate was climbing, my legs were complaining and my speedometer was reading an alarming 5.4 mph. Could I really be THAT out of shape? I can almost walk faster than 5.4 mph. Grumble, grumble, grumble. Who said this was fun?

Did I mention the sun? It was hot as I crept up the last mile to the end of the pavement. My flubbery legs wobbled as I got off the bike and gulped a bottle of Gatorade.

Then, as I climbed back on the bike and pushed off I noticed the flat. Aha! No wonder I was struggling so much.

Too bad I didn't have Julie with me. She fixed a flat in 6 minutes last summer. We timed her. I think it took me nearly 6 minutes just to get the tire off the rim, but I did succeed. No thanks to the two vehicles that passed without even asking if I needed help. I probably would have said no anyway and pushed my bike 17 miles back to Asotin like a fool.

The Crazy skills hadn't left me though and I was back in business. I still had to claim those Flubber Legs, even with a pumped up tire. And there's no remedy except getting out there and sweating. Maybe after a few more rides it will feel like fun again.

2 comments:

Rendy Tucker said...

Well you're a hundred miles ahead of me if it makes you feel any better. I don't know how you do it! You go girl, even if you do have flubber legs.

The word verification below is lobsuria. It sounds like a magical place filled with lobster.

Lee said...

Hi Pam!! It has been a long time.. and I happened upon your blog. So I wanted to say Hi!! Sounds like your family is doing great!