Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Painting




Worked all morning editing my mom's life history. It's been so good to read about her life and get acquainted with her in a different way. But one can only sit at a computer for so long. Besides it's a dull, overcast day and it always does me good to get out of the house.

I ended up at Goodwill where I found this shelf that I thought might work great for those cute jars full of giggles and true love that Heather gave me for Christmas. (Sorry HT, I just can't seem to get the vision of how to do the crates. I'll have to use them for something else, for sure.)

So here I am breaking all my own rules:
  • Don't paint over the tablecloth even if you have a piece of cardboard down
  • Don't paint in your good clothes
  • Don't paint near the upholstered chairs

The voice of experience is screaming in my ear "You'll be SORRY!"
So far so good, but the paint's not dry yet. We'll see.

The plan is to get enough coats on this charming piece, then sand the edges to expose the blue beneath which will match the jars. I think it's a little too cinnamon-y in color for the office, but I'll see how I like it after I get it done. I might bring over some furniture scratch cover and darken up some of the edges with it. Do ya think that might work?


Oh yeah, and I want to find some awesome skeleton keys to hang from the bottom pegs.



Here's the painted shelf. I think I need to wait for the paint to dry more before I sand it. Yikes! It took so much work to get it painted well, do I really want to mess with it? It looks better in person, but what else do you think it needs?

3 comments:

Al and Ash said...

I think it looks great! I love the 2 colors together :)

Heather said...

Yeah! So glad to see you found a home for the jars of magical wonders. I think you should sand it. Do it, do it, do it. And you should hang the keys with Ribbon. :)

Rendy Tucker said...

So cute! Look at you Miss Creative. I didn't see the jars. You should take a close up pic.